This picture was taken a couple of months ago before our move. Almost nightly Erik would freak me out because I would wake up to check on him and his face was pressed against the mesh on the far wall of his co-sleeper. One night I watched as his little two-month-old mummy-wrapped body wiggled its way over to the edge, it was only then that I realized he was looking at the night light until he fell asleep.
Mark and Erik both like to sleep with their eyes a tiny bit open, which doesn't work well when they need to sleep during the day. Luckily Jennifer had a mask they could borrow.
Last week our doctor told us it was time to teach Erik how to fall asleep on his own and how to sleep through the entire night. Mark insisted that I let him cry for five minutes before going in to check on him. When the five minutes were up I rushed in, calmed him down then put him back in his bed. He fell right to sleep. Ever since then, I wrap him up, read him a book, give him a kiss, lay him down and he doesn't even whimper, he looks at his night light until he falls asleep.
Best baby ever... Not the best parents.
We're trying to get better about putting him to bed at the same time each night. Sometimes we're a little late and he passes out on his own.


Yay sleep training! It's the most wonderful thing ever. That "cry for five minutes" method is called graduated extinction, and we've used it with great success on all our babies as well. I'm so glad it's working for you guys! If you want an awesome book on sleep training, try "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" by Dr. Weissbluth. Erin and I both swear by it. (And BTW, little sleeping nuggie is so cute!!)
ReplyDeletePretty sure that you are SO lucky that you only had to sleep train him one night, for five minutes. He really does spoil you guys ;)
ReplyDeleteWay to go! I LOVE the pic with the eye cover on. LOL. I'm guessing that was your idea? That's hilarious! I miss him! I can't believe he wiggles to watch the nightlight. I can't wait to see him soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletei hope he sleeps more now that he has that fancy beauty-sleep mask. cutie.
ReplyDelete