Sunday, May 29, 2011

What Would You Do?

I've been thinking about starting a blog for a while to help me be better at keeping in touch with friends. I thought about it after talking to Mark's sisters and cousins at a baby shower. I thought about it when I would make a new craft. I thought about it when Erik was born. I thought about it when I realized that in my attempt to be private, many of my friends have no idea how blessed I am to be married to the most wonderful person I have ever met. I thought about it when I realized that I am a horrible journal writer, but a great emailer. All of these thoughts, but the one that pushed me over the edge to sign up? A TV show.

Tonight I watched an episode of "What Would You Do." I've only seen a few episodes but I love seeing people willing to take a stand for what they think is right. I also like that the show makes me ponder my own actions and responses.

Tonight's show was in Dallas and the people on this episode were especially great (I guess it's normally filmed on the East coast). Tonight there were several hugs and prayers offered for the actors in need and overall a stronger feeling that strangers became neighbors when they help each other out. After tonight's show, a memory forgotten years ago pushed its way back into my mind.

I had just moved to Vegas, it was my second or third week but I had not yet found my ward. I got in a huge fight with my roommate, a boy I thought I loved broke my heart, I hated law school, the transmission had gone out in my car so I couldn't leave, I didn't have a friend for miles and miles, I was hot and miserable, I was surrounded by strangers and I was on the verge of breaking.

I found the ward I was supposed to be in, which met at the institute building in the middle of UNLV's campus. Things only got worse while I was at church and I broke down. I went outside hoping no one would see me cry, but soon people started to leave church and one by one they walked past me, while I sat on the curb bawling. I sat there trying to figure out how I was going to brave the extreme heat to get back to my apartment miles away.

I didn't move from the Institute property, soon the flow of people leaving church decreased to the occasional passerby. Still no one said a word to me. A little while later, a black car pulled up and the window rolled down. The guy inside clearly did not belong to my ward. He called out to me and said that he saw me when he was leaving campus and wanted to make sure I was okay. He offered to buy me a coffee and listen to me talk. I declined the coffee, but stood on the curb talking as he listened for some time. He gave me his business card as he drove away and offered his help if I ever needed it.

Many others walked by having just learned about Christ, but interestingly, the one who didn't go to church that day was the most Christ-like person I met. I wonder how many times I have prayed to be able to help someone in need and then walked by oblivious to the obvious.

Nearly five years have passed without me thinking about the lesson I learned that day.  I didn't want to forget it again, so I decided to make it my first blog entry... let's hope future entries aren't as lengthy! 

3 comments:

  1. In case you haven't noticed, I like to comment on blogs; hope that's not a problem.
    I like this post, but it also makes me sad. I think to myself, how many times have I been in that situation where I could have helped someone but ignored the prompting or was oblivious. I'm hoping not TOO many! I would hope that I would be the type of person to say something if I saw somebody upset.
    In any case, I'm glad you decided to blog. It is nice to document, but it's also kind of cathartic to write what's on your mind in sort of a forum setting like this where others can share their opinions and advice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome story. I will think about it as I try to reach out to those around me!

    I echo Erin in saying that I'm so glad you decided to start a blog, and thank you for inviting me to read. I am excited to be able to read about you and Markie and Erik, since we're so far away and won't see you as often. If you ever want to chat (by phone or email or whatever), I would love that. I can really relate to your feeling alone sometimes--not that I'm alone when I have my sweet family, but I definitely miss girl interaction. Big hugs to you guys!

    ReplyDelete